I sat looking at that stupid wheelchair from across the room,
not able to concentrate on the book I was reading. It was a simple, standard manual wheelchair
that folded up into a smaller footprint for easier transport. The fabric was black along with the leather
on the arm rests and the metal frame.
The wheelchair was pretty boring looking, nothing like one of those chairs
that you see paralyzed people using all the time, with their sleek lightweight
ridged frame and little no back. It was
not really heavy, but it seemed solid, not cheap. My husband Tom had brought it home a week
before and placed it in the corner of the front room, folded up like he was
going to store it there for eternity, like it was waiting for a need. I asked him a couple of times why he got it,
but he never responded and either walked away or changed the subject. I let it sit there for a couple days and then
pushed it into the garage, but when Tom came home from work, he simply moved it
back without saying anything. Why does
he have it? Why won’t he let me get rid
of it? What does it mean to him? These questions seemed to consume the rest of
my afternoon as I stared at it from across the room till Tom came home from
work. “What are you looking at” he asked
me as he dropped his bag in the chair next to the front door. “Nothing” I simply responded as I got up from
the couch, placed my book on the table and made my way to the kitchen to fix
dinner. “You seem distracted” Tom said
as he followed me and approached me from behind, then gently ran his fingers
through my long blonde hair as he pushed his body against the back of mine. “Nothing” I repeated as I pulled some
boneless chicken from the freezer and placed it in the microwave to
defrost. Tom then turned toward the
wheelchair in the other room as if he knew that I had spent my day wondering
why it existed and looked longingly at it, almost in a similar manner as I had
for most of the day. I carefully watched
as he ran his fingers gently along the metal frame and then across the arm rest
from the kitchen out of the corner of my eye.
“Why” suddenly bust out of my mouth as I turned toward him. As quickly as the words left my mouth I
regretted them and covered my mouth with my hands.
“Why what” Tom asked back as he quickly turned toward
me. I took an awkward swallow while
still covering my mouth and decided at that moment I would not let him brush me
off like he had before about it. “Why do
you have that” I firmly asked as I lowered my hands and walked closer to Tom
with purpose in my steps. He simply
smiled again and started to calmly walk away just as he had done many times
before when I had casually inquired about it.
Not this time I thought as I took a hold of his arm and pulled him back
toward me. “Do you really want to know”
Tom asked as he turned around to look me in the eyes. I nodded with confidence, because this time I
really wanted to know why that wheelchair was in our lives. “It’s for you” Tom quickly replied still
smiling. I let go of his arm as this
strange feeling rushed all over my body and took a half a step back. “For me” I questioned as my mind started to
run through all kinds of scenarios as to why I would want or need the
wheelchair. “Let’s see if I can explain”
Tom said as he took my hand and ushered me to the couch, perhaps taking note of
the total panic on my face. “I guess
I’ll just say it and let you ask the questions” Tom continued as I sat
down. “I have a cast fetish” Tom said as
he joined me on the couch. “A cast
fetish” I whispered back. That was the
first time I had ever heard of this word that would soon become a favorite past
time for both of us.
No comments:
Post a Comment