Tuesday, July 30, 2013

Quick Casts - Episode 5

Lauren was sitting watching TV with her leg propped up on a couple of pillows and some ice packs resting on it when he phone rang.  “Hello” she said as she answered the phone.  “Hey sweetie” Jane’s voice replied.  “How’s it going” Lauren answered as she sank further into the couch.  “Great” Jane said, “is Bryan there?”  “Nope” Lauren responded “he ran out to do a shoot.”  “Darn” Jane said with disappointment.  “Why do you want Bryan” Lauren asked.  “I need a quick arm cast” Jane responded.  “Ok” Lauren replied with question in her voice.  “Hugh will be home tonight from a two day trip” Jane said, “and I want to play.”  Lauren tried to contain her laughter as Jane explained further.  “I was thinking about doing the whole injured cheerleader thing” Jane continued.  “Cheerleader” Lauren questioned through a chuckle.  Jane was silent for a moment until Lauren stopped chuckling.  “When do you think he will be home?” Jane asked.  “I really don’t know” Lauren responded, “but I could put the cast on for you.”  Jane was silent for another moment while she was thinking about Lauren’s proposal.  “Sure” Jane responded with excitement in her voice, “I’ll be over in a couple of minutes.”

About fifteen minutes had pasted and Lauren had settled herself into the couch for a nice nap, as Jane walked into the room through one of the doors leading in from the deck.  Lauren sat up a bit as she noticed Jane dressed in what appeared to be a cheerleader uniform.  Jane’s six foot figure was not at all how Lauren had pictured her in the uniform.  Jane stood in front of Lauren with what appeared to be a sleeveless dark blue cropped halter top with gold trim, covering no more that her breasts.  The tight top compressed Jane’s already small breasts and simple wrapped around her back.  It was held up with a thin piece of gold fabric that matched the style of the trim around the rest of the top.  Across her breasts was the word Oxford in large gold lettering.  The crop top left Jane’s tight bare belly to remain exposed.  Her outfit was continued with a simple black pair of tight shorts.  The outfit was topped off with a pair of black knee high heeled boots.  “What?” Jane questioned as she finished pulling her red hair back into a tight ponytail.  “Nothing” Lauren responded “just not exactly what I was expecting.”  Jane looked down at herself and looked back a Lauren as she posed in front of her.  “Let me guess you were expecting a turtle neck sweater and a pelted skirt?” Jane snapped back.  Lauren simply smiled as she sat up and carefully moved the ice pack off her leg.  “Why don’t you go get the supplies out of the office” Lauren said “and I’ll meet you over by the counter.
Jane disappeared into the office as Lauren pick-up her grey CAM boot off the floor.  As Lauren pulled a thick sock up over her scared leg Jane came back out into the kitchen with an armful of stuff.  “That was quick” Lauren said, pulling the Velcro straps on her CAM tight.  “I knew exactly what I wanted” Jane responded as she pulled a length of stockinet out of its box and began to measure it against her right arm.  Lauren pushed herself up off the couch and took the forearm crutches that had been leaning against the chair next to her and put them on her arms.  “Are you going to do it all by yourself?” Lauren jokingly asked as she made her way slowly across the room, not trying to bare too much weight on her left leg.  “I’m just doing what I can to speed this process up.” Jane answered as she cut a hole in the stockinet for her thumb.  When Lauren stopped in front of Jane she began to look through the box of supplies that Jane had brought out.  “I can’t do the part around the thumb very well” Lauren said while digging through the box.  “That’s alright” Jane responded, “I like the thumb spica better.”

Lauren chuckled as she took out some padding and began to open the package up as she sat down on a stool next to Jane.  With slow precision Lauren unrolled the padding covering Jane’s wrist and thumb, then unpackaged another roll after another, moving her way up Jane’s arm until it was covered in a layer of padding.  “There now for the hard part” Lauren stated as she put a pair of surgical gloves on.  Then Lauren took a package of fiberglass tape out of the box and opened it up.  “I think we can get by with the dry method” Lauren said as she was working the end of the tape from the roll.  “Sure” Jane replied, “it works for me.”  Just as careful as she did the padding Lauren began to unroll the dark blue fiberglass tape on Jane’s wrist.  As each layer of tape went on Lauren carefully smoothed the fiberglass tape working any wrinkles out.  As the cast began to take shape Jane could feel the warmth of the fiberglass and could hear the crackling of it hardening.

“There done” Lauren said as she leaned back away from Jane and took her gloves off.  Jane slowly moved her arm around in the air looking over the newly applied dark blue cast.  “Looks great” Jane said excitedly, “I like it.”  Lauren looked her handy work over the best she could as Jane stood up and walked toward the door.  “Thanks again” Jane said.  “No problem” Lauren replied, “but what’s the rush?”  “Hugh should be home any minute” Jane said as she opened the door to the sound of a helicopter in the distance.  Lauren took her crutches in hand and stood up to watch Jane make her way down the trail next to the lake toward her house.  As Lauren watched Jane run, she thought how awkward she looked swinging her newly applied cast, but how happy she seemed also. 

No comments:

Post a Comment